Tuesday, November 4, 2014

In which we go hunting for errors and native speakers

            My sample might be staggeringly small – it is the fourth largest country in the world, after all – but I feel sort of confident saying that at least many Indonesian students of English learn the language with a fair amount of fear. My sample includes the students I taught at Satya Wacana, the students I met at the boarding school in Madura, and students who I met yesterday (who were the majority of the participants in the workshop that was supposed to be for teachers), and it’s informed by the teachers I’ve spoken to and worked with across the time I’ve lived in Indonesia. Here’s how I learned it yesterday.
            Because the participants turned out to be mostly students preparing to teach English (the person who planned it didn’t follow Umi’s directions: it was not a mistake on her part, I feel compelled to note), I changed one of the questions I’ve used as a writing prompt near the beginning of the workshop – instead of asking about their successes and frustrations in their teaching of writing, I asked them about their experiences writing in English, what they enjoyed and what was challenging. When they read, there were some fairly consistent themes across the group: they don’t write very much, and they don’t like to write much.  They worry especially about their grammar, but it’s not really an abstract worry, of course – what they are worried about is having their teacher read what they wrote and simply point out every single mistake students make in their writing.
One student said she prefers speaking to writing, because when she speaks the teacher doesn’t correct every single word. They worry about the vocabulary too – they expressed the sort of contradictory but easily understandable sentiment that they liked writing because it helped them learn new words, and that they didn’t like writing because they often didn’t know the right words for things. But that’s wrapped around the teacher too, because the wrong word will be corrected. One young woman wrote about a promising assignment where all the students wrote blog entries and shared them among the class, who then, it turned out, responded in their comments by pointing out all the mistakes that they make, including the teacher’s now very public corrections.
Writing, in other words, often appeared to them as a kind of trap that they had no choice but to step into again and again: think Charlie Brown kicking the football, but without even his blind optimism to drive them. When they write, they already know, they will make mistakes, for many of them almost certainly several in every line, and their teacher will point out the mistakes, and the assessment of the writing will be based on the amount of mistakes they make. And so they spend hours crafting every sentence, writing it slowly, studying it carefully, making sure that everything is just as it should be before they move onto the next sentence. What they say is completely and totally unimportant, because their teacher won’t notice it.
I need to be careful to keep this from appearing as a slam on teachers. I don’t mean it that way. Teachers in Indonesia work, often, in classrooms with 40 students, and they might have as many as eight different classes in a given week. They have a government-mandated curriculum that includes direct instruction in various text types – expository, narrative, blah blah blah – and their students will be tested on their knowledge of those texts. (They know, of course, that their students’ performance on the national exams will assess the teachers as much as the students.) They learn and say things like “Analytical texts have very strict structures that students need to learn how to follow,” which is the way text-types – modes, we used to call them in my field of composition studies - always get explained, even when they claim not to be doing that (and it of course a version of silliness that has no reflection in actual non-school written discourse). And they are modeling a teaching strategy their own teachers almost certainly used before them, at least when it comes to the determined and vigilant correction of errors in writing. They know it’s not working, really, the teachers I’ve met, but they don’t know why, and they don’t have a framework, really, to think beyond what’s not working.
All of this should sound familiar to American teachers too, especially those who have been teaching writing for a while. The reading of texts simply to discover what’s wrong with them, the focus on teaching certain kinds of structures and formal requirements, being stuck in a style of teaching that’s not working because trying to imagine another way is so difficult, especially given the demands of every day classrooms and the dearth of meaningful professional development: these are teachers’ problems in the United States, too, just as the fear of writing in English is not limited only to students who are learning to write English as a foreign language.
Today at Umi’s school I met with a large group of senior high-schoolers, and one of the questions I got was “In the United States do teachers put on a scary face when they go into the classroom like they do here in Indonesia?” I got a giant laugh from the group when I immediately put on a very angry face, but the question made me a little bit sad, too. (A chicken just strolled by, getting its exercise I imagine so it can remain super fit like most Indonesian chickens.) There is a way of being a teacher here that silences students in many occasions – it drives Umi crazy, and it also makes her life hard, because her students love her and she is a teacher who refuses to lead with error correction – in fact from my perspective she is a revolutionary teacher who is pushing boundaries in Indonesia, but as a result she seems to be deeply unpopular with her colleagues. She actually deserves her own blog entry soon, since she is so amazing.
I wish my academic discipline of composition studies, with all its renewed attention to what we are presently calling translingualism, could really embrace world of English writing instruction. We’ve thought so much about it in the first year college classroom and in some cases in other classrooms beyond the first year, but we’re missing out on the real drama of global English, regarding its teaching, the ways writing happens in those settings, and especially the way the mania for correctness is shaping deeply how students understand and learn English outside of American universities. Our students in our Universities are already in one of the most privileged educational settings in the world, and while of course we should be paying attention to them and working to implement current practices and theories as best as we can, there are countless millions more students across the globe who are caught in a chaotic imperial expansion of English, who are learning English for reasons that no one is clear about, except that everyone says that you must learn English.
Today, in another workshop, one of the examples of student error that a teacher gave was “Today my cat passed away, and my grandfather died.” It is an error, he said, because he should have written that his grandfather passed away and his cat died. I kind of understand what he is trying to say, but even then it is just silliness. It seemed as if he spent a fair amount of time trying to teach this distinction to his student, and he asked me what I thought about it. “Wow,” I said. “That kid had a really awful day.”
            I asked the teachers in the workshop today how we should respond to some of the ideas they generated in a first writing, that their students don’t like writing, that they are scared of making mistakes, that they freak out about not knowing the right vocabulary term. What should we do about this? I asked. Most agreed that we should tell our students not to worry about making mistakes in their writing, to just relax and write what comes to their mind. And what do you do with that writing when you get it? How would you respond to it? Most of them said that they would be nice about showing students how to correct the mistakes in their writing. Maybe they thought about the conversation we had after that – about how if we say mistakes don’t matter, and then all we do is fix their mistakes, our students are several steps ahead of us already. They know that we aren’t serious when we tell them not to worry about mistakes; they know that mistakes are what their teachers will see, whether students are worried about them or not when they write. They know that the only thing that matters about writing is getting the right word or the right grammar, that they aim for perfection, error-free writing, as the most important goal.
          I always open the workshops speaking Indonesian, though, on purpose. I do my very best to say what I want to say, and I work hard at it, but I know that I am continually making mistakes, using the wrong word, and on and on. I come back to that later when we're discussing errors, asking them, were you paying attention mostly to all the mistakes I made when I spoke Indonesian? They say of course not (though they would never admit it if they were, in Java, since that would be so rude) - and I think it's true. They listen to me, and they stretch to understand my clumsy Indonesian, with a generous ear. That's the ear I wish teachers everywhere could hear their students with.  
       I can’t pull this together in my own coherent stream just yet, except to say that students of English writing are scared, that they know how regularly they make mistakes in language because pointing that out seems to be one of the primary goals of language instruction. So I’ll just post this now, and let the ideas keep bouncing around. 

            On a side note, I heard a great phrase at the workshop in Banyuwangi on Sunday. A older teacher, who from the neck-up looked a bit like a wayang kulit – a Javanese shadow puppet – talked about taking his students from Banyuwangi on the ferry across to Bali, where they sought out tourists who they could interview for their English learning. He referred to it as “hunting native speakers,” which is a phrase that has become a private joke between Umi and me. My family and I have been hunted like that before, in Bali and in Yogyakarta, by hordes of students who interviewed us about our age and what we think about Indonesia. He also showed me pictures on his camera during the break, in which google-eyed Javanese high school boys interviewed a 20 something women in a tiny bikini. You won’t find any bikinis on any Javanese beaches, at least not the ones I have visited – I imagine the man behind the camera was a bit google-eyed too, and the students were probably thinking, this is a pretty cool assignment…
        Banner count: six now - these banners no doubt will be well-recycled into tablecloths for street-side warungs. The two from the workshop today had a picture of me standing in some Montana snow-scape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment